Caregivers should keep the following in mind when developing an evacuation plan:
1) If the person lives in a nursing home or is hospital-bound, ask for a copy of their evacuation plans and be familiar with it. Know how to contact the person once they reach their destination.
2) If the person lives in a residence or assisted-living facility, it is up to family or friends to make plans for their care.
Nursing Homes, Health Care Facilities, Senior Living and Day Cares, it is up to the family or the facility to evacuate people in their care. It is highly recommended that all such facilities develop an evacuation plan and train their personnel in the plan. These plans should be shared with the families of people in their care. The plan should clearly set out who will be responsible for evacuating residents and how that evacuation will be carried out.
Because of the special care requirements for many residents in these facilities, it shall be the responsibility of the facility to incorporate these needs into their plans. It shall also be the responsibility of the facility to coordinate their plans with the city, prior to any emergency, if they wish to incorporate any portion of the city’s plan into their own.
When planning ahead, keep in mind:
- Arrange to stay with family or friends from out of town during an evacuation. They will be more comfortable with this support network nearby.
- Call ahead to hotels as soon as an emergency is declared to make arrangements.
- Plan ahead for transportation out of the city.
- Find out who can help during an emergency and who will not be able to assist you.
- Some possible sources of transportation are:
- Personal vehicle
- Family, friend or neighbor’s vehicle
- Rental vehicle
- Bus, train or airplane
- If they have medical needs, or if caring for others with special needs, check with doctors, and home health care agencies to arrange for care wherever you go.
- Shelters are often crowded and have minimal supplies, no privacy and life there can be very stressful. They are meant as a last resort only.
For More Information Follow this Link: