Floodplain Management

Floodplain management is the operation of an overall program of corrective and preventive measures for reducing flood damage, including but not limited to, emergency preparedness plans, flood control works, and floodplain management regulations.

The City of Mustang actively participates in the National Flood Insurance Program.  Our participation makes it possible for local residents to purchase flood insurance, even if their property is not located in one of the drainage basins where there is a Special Flood Hazard Area.  Being a part of this program means that we have to be extra careful about issuing any type of permit near a flood prone area.


How to Determine if your Property is in a Floodplain: 

  1. Use the online map created by the Oklahoma Water Resources Board, or

  2. Use the Mustang GIS map  (the username and password is mustang) or

  3. Use the FEMA map  and enter your address in the search box or 

  4. Come in person to 1501 N. Mustang Road 

In addition to obtaining a building permit, anyone who desires to construct improvements or to excavate in or around the 100-Year (1% Chance) Floodplain could  also be required to file for a Floodplain Development Permit .  These permits are not easily obtained and often require the owner to utilize the professional services of an engineer, surveyor or architect as mandated by the Oklahoma Water Resources Board and the Code of Ordinances of the City of Mustang (Chapter 50, Article II).

flood plain

Most new construction and substantial improvement of any habitable structure shall have the lowest floor (including basement) elevated at least one foot above the base flood elevation. A registered professional engineer, architect, or land surveyor shall submit a certification to the floodplain administrator ensuring this standard is met.

Engineering expertise is also required prior to the introduction of any improvements or fill within the floodplain.  The floodplain administrator must received adequate documentation verifying proposed changes will not adversely affect other properties within the same drainage basin.  In addition, floodproofing may be required in accordance with federal, state and local codes.

Individuals aggrieved by the administration of our floodplain regulations may file an application for a variance with the board of adjustment.  These type of variances are extremely rare and must be filed on record with the Oklahoma Water Resources Board.  They are also subject to review by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Supporting Documents

Flood Plain Development Permit (28 KB)

Web Links

Floodplains in Oklahoma - Interactive Map

Floodplain Information