Residential Permits & Inspections

Residents DO NOT need a permit for a garage sale or accessory buildings less than 100 square feet. 

All concrete must be inspected PRIOR to being poured. A two hour minimum is required to schedule a concrete inspection. We recommend calling the Community Development Department and scheduling the concrete inspection BEFORE scheduling a concrete truck. 

The City of Mustang and the Oklahoma Uniform Building Code Commission ("OUBCC") have adopted the 2018 International Code Council of the International Residential Code for one and two-family dwellings ("IRC") as the statewide code for the construction, repair and alteration of one and two-family dwelling units.  The OUBCC and City of Mustang have also approved and adopted specific amendments to the 2018 IRC. The City of Mustang adheres to the following codes for construction: 2018 IRC, IBC, IPC, IMC, IFC, FGC and the 2020 NEC. 

The City of Mustang Community Development Department also has developed policies concerning the designs, materials and workmanship used for clear span framing and footing construction.  Please contact (405) 376-9873 to obtain copies of these documents.

Neither landlords nor their tenants may work on rental properties without required licensing and permits.  


  1. Fill out the appropriate /Forms

  2. Submit application to the Community Development Department and purchase permit. Permits & Fees

Reinspection Fees are $50 for the first time, $100 for the second and sequential failures on the same inspection.

Those in owner occupied dwellings may perform limited work without City licenses or permits. You do NOT need a permit to perform the following work: 


  1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 100 square feet (9.29 m2).

  2. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.

  3. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.

  4. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.

  5. Swings and other playground equipment.

  6. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.

  7. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.


  1. Listed cord-and-plug connected temporary decorative lighting.

  2. Reinstallation of attachment plug receptacles but not the outlets therefor.

  3. Replacement of branch circuit overcurrent devices of the required capacity in the same location.

  4. Electrical wiring, devices, appliances, apparatus or equipment operating at less than 25 volts and not capable of supplying more than  50 watts of energy.

  5. Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.            

Natural Gas: 

  1. Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying appliances.

  2.  Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.

  3. Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.


  1. Portable heating appliances.

  2. Portable ventilation appliances.

  3. Portable cooling units.

  4. Steam, hot or chilled-water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by the ICC.

  5. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.

  6. Portable evaporative coolers. Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors  =/< 1 HP.

  7. Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.

In addition, homeowners may perform flat work (concrete), masonry work (brick/block/rock), framing, roofing and similar work on their own house with proper permits.  Homeowners may not perform any electrical, mechanical, natural gas pipe fitting or plumbing other than what is listed above.  Any work not specifically listed above must be performed by City of Mustang licensed professional contractors.

Supporting Documents

Inspection Procedures (34 KB)

Inspections - Who/ What/ When (7 KB)

Residential Construction Guide (133 KB)

Residential Electrical Plan Review (2 MB)



Web Links

Permit Fee Schedule